homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shopping trip

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shopping trip
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 14:17:33 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:

Watching Wonder Woman fall off the homestead wagon causes great mental consternation. The juxtaposition of home-grown almost- everything with a Reuben sandwich of store-boughten ingredients is overwhelming. I feel faint; I must go lie down.

Ready yourselves; her chemical balance is as a tsunami.

Now hold up, Gene..;)
My reuben sandwich is made of homemade rye bread...I can't make pastrami
at home (yet)..I just learned to eat sauerkraut last year and I am going
to be making my own this year if the cabbages perform...(100%
germination and growing well so far) I don't have milk to make cheese,
either, so I have to buy that...I can't grow mustard here, either...
Mostly, I bought things that were to replace the food we have been
eating over the last 6-9 months..things like rice, sugar, beans, dry
milk, grits, flour, and such. Yeah, I bought some seafood and stuff
like sardines and mussels, too. I also bought organic sweet potatoes to
grow slips from, as well as other fresh veggies and stuff like butter
that I sorely needed. My friend came for lunch today and said, all
those groceries and no chips? no dip? no coke? no sweets? She couldn't
believe I could go to the store and leave without any 'snackfood'.
Before this last dry spell, I kept a year's supply (plus) of food on
hand. Little by little over the last couple of years, it has dwindled
down to almost nothing. I maybe had 3 weeks of food left. For me, that
is totally unacceptable. So yeah, I stocked back up, spent a fortune,
but I did not buy junk. I may be getting another dairy goat next month,
and if that happens, I will buy even less. I simply did not plant
enough last year to get by and am already out of things like tomato
paste and sauce. This year, however, my garden will be 250% larger than
last year, and I'll be putting up more..
So there bucko...swoon away and have a beer...at least I am trying! ;)
Whoever said I was perfect anyway? I gots lots n lots a faults! ;)
And besides, those who leave glass beer bottles in the desert shouldn't
throw stones...lol...I'll bet my semi-annual grocery bill is less than
your monthly beer tab..lol...my tsunami crasheth... :)

Bev
p.s. (I hope you realize this is all in fun..I've had zero sleep in
going on 38 hours, so I am feeling my cheerios, um, my heart healthy
generic cheerios )
--
EarthNSky Farm Somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting
OUR freedom. He's only 19, and his sub won't be back until 7/29/07.