homestead - [Homestead] Shopping trip

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Shopping trip
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 02:20:48 -0500

Today, for the first time since October, I went grocery shopping.
Actually, its the second time, but in December I only bought non-food
items, things like light bulbs and paste wax and bleach, etc.
But today, I bought food...glorious food! It's been a while since we
had any variety and stocks were lower than they have been in over 20
years here. Thank God I store food, but having fresh produce and stuff
is wonderful...I can't wait until the garden comes in. I had almost
forgotten what cottage cheese tastes like! Oh man, the simple pleasures
of life...you should have seen me breaking into the container of cottage
cheese when I got home!
Anyway, I left the house at noon, and got back home at 3:30. I tried to
bribe the neighbor kid with a $5 bill to help me unload, but he would
have no part of it..lol..So, at 5:45, I finally finished unloading and
putting up the groceries. Included in that time period was things like
folding bags, making the hot chocolate mix for star parties, pouring
grits and flour etc. into plastic containers, and rotating what I had
left to the front of the shelves. I cooked a shrimp stir-fry for
dinner..oh the joy of shrimp!...I can't tell you how much fun I had
cooking with real ingredients for a change! I had sprouted mung beans
for the stir-fry, fresh broccoli and mushrooms, fresh shrimp, and
finally, some rice...The lack of rice in the pantry is what drove me to
the store, actually.
Anyway, it's good to have something to eat besides beans..lol..my body
was craving fresh food..I'll have to pay the mortgage late because I
spent too much, but it's worth it. I feel wealthy with a stocked
pantry. I wish I never had to go to the store, but unfortunately, I do.
It's kind of fun to watch people's expressions when they see how much I
buy..they think I have 10 kids or something..4 buggies full of food
today...I wiped the store shelves clean of tuna and rice..lol..
Tomorrow, I'm going to have a Reuben sandwich for lunch instead of
peanut butter... :) Oh, the joy...

Bev

--
EarthNSky Farm Somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting
OUR freedom. He's only 19, and his sub won't be back until 7/29/07.