homestead - Re: [Homestead] Unpreparedness

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Unpreparedness
  • Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 17:57:45 -0500

G'D'Evening Bill,
You are talking over my head, but I can sense your excitement and pride, so I am excited for you..congrats! It's always rewarding to find a cheaper way or an ingenious way to do something, and it seems you have done both, from what I understand.

Kudos,

Bev

Bill Jones wrote:

I can't resist telling folks more about my new water system. The other day I realized that I can make it perfectly seamless with my existing electric well pump. The next time the need arises to spend $500 on another one of the Man's delicate impeller pumps, I'll switch to my own system.

The basic pumping unit, if you recall, is just a cylinder with a pair of one-way valves attached to the bottom. Compressed air is injected into the top. Today I'm working on the very simple control circuit that senses when the pump chamber is empty, and turns off the flow of air through a solenoid valve long enough for the chamber to refill.

The other day I realized that with one more (< $30) solenoid valve, this one controlled by my existing pressure switch, the whole system can be as automatic as it is now. This valve would serve as the master control valve that turns on air from the compressor.

So even if I just go out and buy a small compressor, which I can use for many other purposes, the whole cost won't be over $300. The pump with its one-way valves is about $80, two solenoid valves are about $60 (but my buddy Orlando has an abundance of solenoid valves salvaged from old mills), I've spent under $30 on transistors and relays and such, and the compressor is around $100. I guess I also need a long air hose too. The only things to remember are that the compressor has to match or exceed the pressure output of my present pump, and its power rating has to be match or exceed it as well.

Here's the best part of all. If I rig up my own T-connector (possibly requiring some one-way valves) so that air from a separate, wind-powered compressor (any old piston engine with one good cylinder will do) is injected into the storage tank of the electric one, then it won't come on as long as there's enough wind blowing. So it's possible to smoothly make the transition from the grid to home power. If you just can't put air back into the compressor tank, it may be necessary to have one's own "receiver" tank.

It's really funny how things come together. If I had never moved here and seen Orlando's pneumatic-controlled sawmill, or if I'd never studied electronics, I probably wouldn't have the confidence to put it all together.

Bill
S. Oregon coast