homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicken door nomenclature

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicken door nomenclature
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:47:49 -0800

Two of my great-grandmothers were on the island. Uncle Billy was there (he was about 5 and lived to well past 100) and used to tell us kids about what happened and how "the mothers" (as his mother and her sister were referred to) swam across the bay pushing a canoe with 13 children in it. He said they were some of the lucky ones because one of the other uncles was suffering from colic and "the mothers" were up walking the baby and saw the white men coming. The Yurok and Hupa who were there also escaped because they were on the far side of the island.

The site is old and out of date. It was put up by one woman and without any input from other tribal members.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <sanrico AT highdesert.com>

Hi, Lynda -
Well, ya know I had to go and Google up 'Wiyot'. Quite the interesting site you
have there - http://www.wiyot.com/index.htm.
I don't know when the site was created, or how current the information is, but my
heart goes out to them in their efforts to re-establish the annual dance on
Indian Island. If you haven't already, follow the History link.
I was also born on the coast of California (Long Beach) - should probably now be
re-named Long Litter-Strewn Wildlife-Gone Irretrievably-Polluted Beach.