homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shaping our thinking

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shaping our thinking
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 08:17:36 -0400

Not to disagree with Bev -- I've had that "deja vu all over again" feeling
when reading "news" -- but, there was a CNN web site article yesterday
about a fresh outbreak of bird flu (H5N1) cases in Asia. Several deaths.
There was a line in the story something to the effect of "after several
months of no activity...." indicating there had been no cases to report on
in a while....

Remember, we are dealing with dictatorial leaders who do not permit the bad
news to be released for fear of criticism, until the size of the problem is
such that they cannot contain it. Medical personnel can be arrested for
reporting what would be normal daily reports here. So the journalists may
not have been aware. The sick people took a while to get sick, report to
doctors, die, etc., so the fresh out break is actually several weeks in the
making, but the release of the information that it happened is probably
fresher.