homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shaping our thinking

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shaping our thinking
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:38:12 -0500

clhw wrote:
Not to disagree with Bev -- I've had that "deja vu all over again"
feeling when reading "news" -- but, there was a CNN web site article
yesterday about a fresh outbreak of bird flu (H5N1) cases in Asia.
Several deaths.

You're not disagreeing...I got the alert on that, the first one on bird
flu in a LONG time, and it was that alert that made me realize how long
it had been since I had seen a bird flu story, especially since during
the last few weeks, there have been multiple stories of birds dying in
places like Texas and Australia, but there had been nary a mention of
H5N1 in those stories.

There was a line in the story something to the effect of "after
several months of no activity...." indicating there had been no cases
to report on in a while....

Yeah, I saw that...they also mentioned their vaccination program, which
has made it harder to track the virus in home flocks. An interesting
sidenote, IMO, to give thought to livestock vaccination programs in
general, here in the US in this day and age of the NAIS threat.

Remember, we are dealing with dictatorial leaders who do not permit
the bad news to be released for fear of criticism, until the size of
the problem is such that they cannot contain it. Medical personnel
can be arrested for reporting what would be normal daily reports
here. So the journalists may not have been aware. The sick people
took a while to get sick, report to doctors, die, etc., so the fresh
out break is actually several weeks in the making, but the release of
the information that it happened is probably fresher.

Absolutely right. I've read several stories over the years how some
authorities think China and other Asian nations are underreporting.

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.