homestead - Re: [Homestead] And another one falls

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] And another one falls
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:37:58 EST

Just got around to reading this thread. This is a very busy January for some
reason (like I'm sawing lots of lumber!).

It's clear that we are going to be like the folks in Farenheit 451 with the
ONLY way that plant varieties are going to be preserved is on hundreds of
small
farms and gardens. This is likely the year that there will be no hybrids at
all in my gardens (maybe, have to see). I don't care what disadvantages I
have to put up with to grow only OP.

And by the bye, let me put in a plug for Baker Creek. I order a very few
seeds from half a dozen places. The shipping eats me up, but hey, how many
more
gardens is an old Geezer going have in this mortal span? I like several
companies but I cannot abide the ones that have been taken over by souless
corporations. I have been entirely pleased with the folks at Baker Creek and
someone
has acually put in some thought into the selections and tasted the results.

Another favorite is Italian Tool and Seed
(http://www.italianseedandtool.com/). A couple runs this out of their home
and the seeds are wonderful! A big
scoop in each packet which is written all in Italian. What I liked was that
the seeds are dated as 'Grown in xxxx year' not 'Packed for xxxx year.'