homestead - Re: [Homestead] Power

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Power
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:52:59 -0800

At 12/18/2006 06:41 AM,Gene GeRue wrote:

Glad you are back fully operational, Rob. With your background I
would not worry about you anyway, but how useful was your Minnesota
rural experience to getting through this storm?

I slept thru the storm <g>, I woke up and it was dark & later than it should have been on a work day. The loss of electricity was a pain in the butt, nothing worked but that only lasted less than 48 hrs. Some people are still out of power and they are still finding folks (dead) who ran a generator in their apartment (closed up) or brought the charcoal in to cook & heat with.

Wood heat would be nice but it doesn't get cold enough here to really need it and I don't have a place to put it either.
In MN I built an addition to house the wood burner off the single wide, the wood heat was a big help and the extra room was not bad either. I never did get a good roof connection/seal for the addition but the 2x6 "I" beam floor support worked well.

I think enough kerosene for 7 days and get the RV generator ready run at anytime will have to be enough preparations. I really don't have spare cash to get carried away but with this 'plan' the only thing I'll need that is extra is the 10 gallons of kerosene.
One think I would like is one of those hand crank radios (AM/FM/SW), not just because I'm worried about losing power but I like things that don't need batteries. It would be good fun to take camping.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA