homestead - Re: [Homestead] Power

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Power
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:12:58 -0500

On 12/18/06, Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com> wrote:

I use a kerosene heater all the time. The one big thing that my house
is missing is a wood burning stove.

Rob in VA: You can find good, used woodstoves here and there, not too
difficult to find in VA.

We lose power in winter storms (especially if ice is involved), but also
when remnants of hurricanes blow through. We plan ahead and prepare
including making sure kerosene lamps are filled w/ replacement wicks and an
extra burner mechanism on hand (forget the name) and filling the bathtub
with water. What's unnerving is when you lose power on a 60 degree day with
no wind in the air. We were without power 12/1 for 24 hours and again this
past Saturday for a few hours when AEP (power co.) was trimming trees by
helicopter. I had just stepped out of the shower at 9:25 a.m. (power blinked
on/off a few times during my shower so I hustled) when it went off for good.
I stood there w/ dripping hair unable to use the hairdryer. Not the end of
the world either, but we were going on a family date and arranged for
respite care for our live-in client. We finished getting ready and drove to
town to meet the respite worker and I used the (back-up) bathroom at my
husband's music store (and my former mortgage office). Have kept a hairdryer
there for the times when I had occasionally rolled out of bed late and took
a shower at the office. For some reason, we frequently lose power here at
home--but they hardly ever do in town. Just 12 mi. apart but on different
lines and apparently our line is the one that gets hit.

Losing power makes you fully appreciate having power.

My husband and I joke that we know why the previous owners of our farm sold
and moved to Blacksburg. They got tired of periodically losing power and
dealing with the driveway every winter when it turns into a luge run for
weeks on end.

Lisa