homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tone

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tone
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:13:36 EST

> I've been around since 1998 and the whole list things ebbs and flows.

I started reading the list in 1996 and mainly just read for the longest time.
I'm still not sure the list has changed all that much. Before lists like
this, if a body wanted to engage in any homestead palaver, there was
Countryside
magazine, OG and MEN. There were seed catalogs coming in midwinter.

But if you actually wanted to talk about anything, well, from a
non-homesteader you'd get a blank stare and "It's not time to *put out* a
garden until
May."

Then this list, and two others at the time now defunct, were suddenly this
great wide world of other homesteaders with experience and knowledge and
people
to whom you didn't have to spend the first 30 minutes explaining what
self-sufficieny and homesteading meant.

But as a decade has gone by, more and more resouces have come available.
There are a gazillion homestead lists and countless blogs to the extent that
"the
eye hath not seen nor the ear heard nor hath it entered into the heart of
[the homesteader]".

It might be that part of what seems like a diminishing of this list is really
its stasis and the growth of other things one unconsciously compares it to.