homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ramble on Christmas rush/ideas

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ramble on Christmas rush/ideas
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:45:20 -0500

On 12/4/06, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

Nope, I don't do holiday panic any more.

I've been trying to figure that out for the last several years--short of
giving up.

We mail 15 packages to parents (3), siblings (4),
> grandparents (3) and aunts/uncles (5).

How do you afford that? I quit sending packages years ago because I had to
allow more for shipping than the gift and it was increasing my budget to the
point where I had to sacrifice on gift number and quality.

Shipping costs equal to or more than what we spent on the baked good and
small items inside the box (a box of tea and a bar of locally made goats
milk soap = $7 plus baked goods). We aren't spending big bucks--but it adds
up. Shipping is stupid, husband had rallied for gift cards for years and I
have refused, but this year I am about ready to convert to gift cards or
buying a gift from a store and letting them ship. Many stores ship free or
free if you buy X amount.

I just refuse to get caught up in the holiday, even when I could afford
it. I hate shopping...bah humbug...I hate the post office...bah
humbug...and I never feel comfortable with the gift I am giving...bah
freakin humbug.

I don't like shopping in stores, but don't mind it online. We don't shop
much. You have fewer wants when you don't look. ;).

Many in my family would rather have something bought over something made-sad
but true.

My family has enjoyed our boxes, or said as much--unless they're lying. ;)

I don't do cards either.

My husband and I have lived all over and our family lives all over, this is
a way to connect. We hear from all the people we that we send cards to.

My only advice for you Lisa is to put the kids to baking and go with the
gift cards. Less decoration for Christmas, more family
time...incorporating the two never worked for me, it just added more
stress.

My youngest is helping to bake and decorate the tree. The ornaments are near
by, we can put a few on here and there--less of a chore. Oldest son, in h.s.
and a p-t job, has no interest and less time. Husband said he'd pitch in
tonight after his recording session at the studio is done.

Gene's idea isn't half bad either. I enjoy baking but this year it feels
like borderline obligation & stress and I want to feel nothing but the
pleasure of giving. How the h*ll do I do that?! I keep finding that simple
just isn't.

Lisa