homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food Security

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food Security
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 23:24:49 -0800

I do think people who visit Starbucks every morning on their way to work
are wasteful/not frugal when they could have a cup of joe at home.
Sorry, but I understand that coffee at Starbucks is like $4 a cup (I've
never been there, I don't think...I've only been to one coffee shop in
my entire life..hey Tammy in Colorado, did we meet at a Starbucks or
another coffee shop?) I don't suppose there's anything wrong with
visiting Starbucks on occasion, but buying joe at Starbucks instead of
making it at home, well, that's a bit too "rich" for my blood.

***There's a Starbucks in the grocery store in the little big city we go to. We generally don't buy any coffee there because of their whole policy over refusing to support shade grown, etc. However, as a treat, youngest and I occasionally get a strawberries and cream. Sure is nice when it is 110 out. Plain old coffee is about $2.35. It is the frufru coffee that costs the big bucks.

It's not about that, it's about an attitude of doing for yourself vs. an
attitude of throwing up your hands and expecting others to do for you.
It's about learning skills and doing whatever it takes to reduce your
dependency on commercially available stuff. Plenty of folks homestead
in the city...many places have community gardens, and even if that's not
available, there's farmer's markets, CSA's and other ways to get
wholesome foods without having a big yard. I used to live on less than
1/3 of an acre, but I had a friend with garden space. What I did not
grow in containers, I planted in her garden. I couldn't have animals,
but I worked to find another place, here, where I could have animals,
and while I lived in the city, the folks here educated me on raising
critters and living sustainably.

***The problem is there isn't alot of info out there for folks or help with this sort of thing. If folks ahve spent generations in the city they don't have the knowledge to take advantage of that small space. Welfare isn't designed to really help anyone. If it was, it would do things that make sense instead of simply doing stuff because some politician somewhere decided that would work.

Why did they ask the government in the first place? IMO, people make
choices everyday, you know, personal responsibility. No, many who live
in conditions such as what you describe are looking for a convenient
life...one where the government sends them a check every month, and that
is a vicious cycle of dependence. It IS possible to get off the mouse
wheel and out of the rat race, but it takes a lot of hard work and
sacrifice. It's not easy, but it can be done.

***It is called apathy. Anyone who thinks it is a convenient life has never lived that life. Yes, it can be done but frequently the system is set up to keep you in it. I mean, look at the reality of it. Welfare is a circle and without it there would be a whole lot of people out of work!

It's an option...
There's no reason for true hunger in this culture. What people have to
get over is pride. For example, old people couldn't physically dumpster
dive if they wanted to, but in many cases, their pride gets in the way
and they refuse programs like Meals on Wheels or community outreach
charities.

***That might work in the city but it doesn't work in some areas of the country because it doesn't exist. There is no Meals on Wheels in places like Nowheresville or the Rez or a million other places. There are places where there are no jobs, period. Without jobs, what should people do, pack it up and move to the big city where there are only minimum wage jobs and the rent on a one bedroom apartment is more than 75% of what they'd make working? Some folks are between a rock and a hard place and damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The sense of community is about dead in the U.S. The extended family isn't there in lots of instances.

Yes, there are a whole lot of gimme gimme folks out there but there are just as many that simply don't know where to turn or what to do.