homestead - Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:15:05 -0700

So, one does wonder why one would allow the goat to starve to death. Why not give the silly thing to someone who might appreciate it and continue to pamper it OR give it back to the woman who gave it to you. OR make the effort to wean it onto "rough" living? OR refuse to take the animals to begin with unless it was all simply to prove a point.

Goats aren't terribly stupid animals and it isn't that hard to "reeducate" them.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>
Obviously I have. Not voluntarily prehaps but I've done it several times and
not just with goats. A good friend is the poster child goatatericist,
thoroughly eaten up with it. She keeps some 35 goats on three acres and almost all
of that is dense forrest. That's an extreme example, I know, but obviously
she must import nearly all the food the goats eat and manage all the problems
that intense concentration demands. Several times over the past 25 years she
has shown up at our farm with the goat that was going to be the salvation of our
herd, improve the blood line, with all goatiana bells and whistles going. A
goat that was giving eight pounds (yes, the everlasting 'pounds') of milk a
day within a week would drop to two, then dry up, when it ceased to have the
concentrated diet. Several of them sickened. One great, wonderful bloodline
billygoat starved itself to death when the rest of the goats would go off
browsing and he'd stand there and baaa for the feed bucket. Oh, yes indeed, I've
done the experiment and seen it done many more times by others.