homestead - [Homestead] What I did today....

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] What I did today....
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 01:49:43 -0400

Well, since the wild cats apparently have a hold of a few tongues, I
thought I would blog on about my day. I already related the highlight
of the day in my post about the chestnuts so there's not much more to
say about that.
The day started with a cup of joe and reading email. I then moved on to
laundry and cooking. I finally finished drying the pears, and now I am
drying mushrooms and some passionflower leaves and flowers. I deboned
the rest of the rabbits I boiled yesterday and weighed the results. I
averaged 1.68 pounds of meat per rabbit. I forgot to weigh the bunnies
before I bopped them but I am guessing they weighed maybe 4.5-5 pounds.
I spent some time this morning looking at my pitiful collection of
fabric. I still want to make some 'green' grocery bags. Linda, wasn't
it your daughter who did that? Did you ever get some pics online? I
have changed my mind on the style of bags I want, now I'm thinking of
going with a drawstring flat bottom/round bag instead of the upright
tote style bag. I looked at all my old towels, thinking that I could
dye them and sew them into bags, but I decided against that because the
terrycloth would be too heavy. I keep coming back to denim as the
material of choice. I also need to make a curtain for my bedroom. In
addition to the insulative benefits, I'll feel a bit more secure if I
know that people can't see in. There's woods behind the house, so
someone would have a good trek to see in, but it's possible. When we
moved here, there weren't any kids around, and now there are a few
mischievous teenage boys living within a mile or so. In addition, I
learned a while back that a nearby rental trailer now houses a sex
offender who was convicted of rape. Juuuusssttt lovely. Anyway, I'd
feel better with a curtain. I have some brushed denim that I'll use for
that.
I had a neighbor friend visit mid morning, and after she left, I went
out to do midday chores. I decided to dispatch a couple of poultry
house chickens that were no longer laying. I really do hate butchering
chickens. It's stinky, even if you don't pluck them. I skinned them
today. I won't eat them, but the dogs will. :) Man, I miss TJ.
Since we bopped rabbits the other night, I now have 3 empty cages, so I
started cleaning them today. Those of you who raise rabbits know that
smell....yuk! To make matters worse, an errant chicken (that I can't
seem to catch) had been roosting over the rabbit cages, so that added
more crap to the mess. Ron is supposed to bring home a pressure washer
over the weekend, so I'll finish that job on Sunday. Man, I miss TJ.
After all of that, I was ready for a break, so I came in and shot off
some email again and had a late lunch. (Aren't you happy to know that?)
For whatever reason after that, I decided to blow off some steam and I
took the pistol out to practice. I can still shoot. :) I hit a
swinging 2x2 from 45 feet with my little .22 Ruger. Now, I need some
rifle practice-maybe next week. Have I mentioned that I miss TJ?
He used to help me with the kinds of stuff I did today.
After firing off about 5 clips of ammo, I decided to take a walk and
check on those trees in the back pasture and that's when I found the
chestnuts. I spent almost an hour piddling around with all that, then
started supper...ravioli and homemade sauce.
Ron came home early and worked on his truck, the go-kart, and TJ's truck
before dinner, and then after dinner we worked on the canoe for an hour
before we came in to watch TV. After Survivor went off, it was just the
usual stuff...clean the kitchen, shower, and now I sit here doing email..
And that, my friends, was my day.
It is now after midnight and Friday the 13th, a day of good luck for me
in the past. I hope it holds true for tomorrow(today) as well.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky