homestead - Re: [Homestead] Missouri Design for Conservation

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Missouri Design for Conservation
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 20:20:44 -0700

At 10/10/2006, you wrote:

Fact: reservations were the equivalent of jails and residents were not
allowed beyond the boundaries.

Fact: 1928 federal laws were passed designating American Indians "humans"
and allowing them the right to vote and participate in legal actions.

Here is a pop quiz. Can you name the county with the most reservations or even the state it is in?

In that county sometime around 1900 a local land commissioner shot and killed an Indian on the main street. He was not charged because the only witnesses were Indians and they could not testify in Court. This same land commissioner altered survey records by changing a township number by one moving a reservation slightly north into very poor lands. He told no one and when the records were accepted by the government the Indians could not sue but had to move from an area of decent farm land to an area of hills and rocks.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com
My travel journal

I am omnivagant.