homestead - Re: [Homestead] Missouri Design for Conservation

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Missouri Design for Conservation
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 13:09:40 -0700

I never disputed the facts of our remote past, half a lifetime before I was born. This fellow said that townships were "based on" reservations. I have no idea whether that's even true, but I do know that "based on" is one of those slippery phrases you use when you want to create a false analogy, like "harkens back" or "smacks of". For instance, having Mexicans stay in their own country might "harken back" to Nazi Germany, as one might hear in sociology class, except for the fact that no one's being killed. So when people who are not Americans go online later, to see whether reservations still exist, and sure enough they do, unlike townships, no one's probably going to tell them what's obvious to you and me, that no one's required to be on a reservation at all.

Compared with the choices facing many of our city kids nowadays, kids disconnected from any family and culture, who are living in sewers in some cases, isn't it a bit like the proverbial silver spoon, now that they're not prisons?

Bill

Lynda wrote:

Bill, supposedly you have a college education. Thus, you should know that
presenting historical facts (F-A-C-T-S) is not synonomous with paranoid
(concerns for one's well-being, beliefs of threats to oneself or property,
belief in conspiracy theories).

Fact: reservations were the equivalent of jails and residents were not
allowed beyond the boundaries.

The first time Soweto or any township ceased to be a nighttime prison was barely over a decade ago. When was the first occasion when indians were allowed to come and go from some reservation?

Fact: 1928 federal laws were passed designating American Indians "humans"
and allowing them the right to vote and participate in legal actions.

Thus, facts provided for your information, FYI. And, I'd suggest you do some reading on a couple of reservations which routinely are locked down by the feds. That means it still goes on today.

Was this an occasion when a suspected criminal was loose? The same happens all the time in our cities, when the self-appointed gods take over a whole neighborhood.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>

I figured you'd provide something informative, if paranoia-based. My,
people were certainly ignorant back then! He's telling people who
wouldn't know any better that it's still going on today, from the way he
worded it.