homestead - Re: [Homestead] Woodstove, Propane or Other

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Woodstove, Propane or Other
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 23:16:08 -0400

Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:
We have a push mower--and land with
inclines and slopes to various degrees. It took my husband nearly a
full week to recover from mowing the lawn.

Lisa, I'm not trying to tell you (or him) what to do. I empathize, I
really do. If I mowed the entire mowable area in one day, I'd be half
dead, too. I try to break it up and mow over a three day period. I mow
out by the barn one day, around the house, front and back in a day, and
out by the road in a day. I don't know how many acres that would be
total, but I also have a push mower(not even self propelled) and
probably similar terrain. I'm guessing just by adding up the times that
it would take me close to 7 hours to do it all in one day. I know it
takes 1 tank of gas to do out by the barn, and 2 tanks each for the yard
and out by the road. I take a break and let the mower cool when I run
out of gas. The point is, I break it up and don't overwork. I swap
chores. I might mow for a few hours then weedeat for a few hours then
come in and clean the bathroom or do laundry. I am the master of the
change up.<g> It also takes me 3 days to weedeat for the same reason.
At any rate, I'll bet hubby has a better appreciation for what your son
does!!! I know I didn't appreciate mine enough! I struggle with some
things, like moving the chicken tractor by hand, and he always made it
look so easy! When my arm was broken earlier this year, I was really
hurtin' as I had to do everything with only one arm! Ron mowed once for
me, but he works 10 hours a day plus has commute time-in a physically
demanding job-so I generally pick up the slack at home and do what needs
to be done, even if it takes me longer because I am either hurt or
trying to avoid getting hurt.

I know that your hubby hasn't always been the most eager beaver when it
comes to homesteading. I can't help but wonder if some of his
"discomfort" is simply convenient. Only you would know and you don't
have to answer to me or anyone else, but if he is willing to stress his
arms spending long hours in the recording studio, but not to pick up a
chainsaw, then, well.....

He's in the studio
working on his next cd and he's having a hard time making chords with
his left hand without pain.

So he's right handed then? Holding a chainsaw and making chords works
different muscles and therefore tendons. If the weight of the chainsaw
bothers him, perhaps he should consider doing a little weight training
with dumbbells. Squeezing one of those gel filled balls is good, too.

He's only 42 (I'm his old lady at 44).

(Wince) Don't say that. That's one of my pet peeves. Calling yourself
"his old lady" is degrading to you. Besides, <g> most of us 'homestead
women' are about the furthest things from 'ladies' I can think
of....lol... Say it outloud...."I am a Homestead Warrior Woman" LOL,
hey, it works for me.... ;)

We won't have a choice--it's one or the other. The salesman at the local gas & oil store that sells stoves of all kinds said we could buy a woodstove and convert to propane, but could not buy a propane stove and convert to wood. Something about the way it's made, a stove for gas logs is made a bit thinner since it throws out less btu's I guess. I had inquired with an eye to the next owner of our home, incase we decide to sell when the boys are done with school or
we decide to make good on our threat to relocate to Ireland or other
points in W. Europe.
<snip>
I suppose we'll get over that when we aren't
constantly vacuuming up stray ash or hauling in wood from the pile. But it kind of feels like a cop-out.

Be strong....Hold firm....steady as she goes....don't jump ship just yet...

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky