homestead - Re: [Homestead] Woodstove, Propane or Other

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Woodstove, Propane or Other
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 19:48:39 -0700

I have carpel tunnel and arthritis from various "accidents" with horses over the years. The "dry" heat from wood has reduced the aches and pains to almost zero during the winter. Propane heat, which we used for part of the first winter because we didn't have a full load of wood in that year, just isn't as useful to me. I was never warm and my creaky old bones ached all the time. Plus it gives me headaches.

I've seen inserts that are either or, seems to me you ought to be able to find an already made woodstove that runs either propane or can burn wood.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>

Any extended period of holding a piece of equipment (i.e. chainsaw or an 8#
weedeater) gives him fits for the next two or three days. He mowed the lawn
for 4 hours a week ago giving our oldest son a break as he'd had a very long
band competition the day before on a Saturday (two competitions on
consecutive Saturdays) and was gone all day long. Our son had been very
helpful recently (voluntarily--not usually the case for our 16.5 year old),
so hubby gave him a day 'off'. Hubby paid for it.

snip<
We won't have a choice--it's one or the other. The salesman at the local
gas & oil store that sells stoves of all kinds said we could buy a woodstove
and convert to propane, but could not buy a propane stove and convert to
wood. Something about the way it's made, a stove for gas logs is made a bit
thinner since it throws out less btu's I guess. I had inquired with an eye
to the next owner of our home, incase we decide to sell when the boys are
done with school or we decide to make good on our threat to relocate to
Ireland or other points in W. Europe.