homestead - Re: [Homestead] Woodstove, Propane or Other

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Woodstove, Propane or Other
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:23:51 -0400

Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

Thanks guys. Good food for thought. Fwiw Bev, I was kidding when I said I'm his old lady, I haven't called myself that in I don't know how long--guess I was just saying that I'm the older spouse.

LOL, I know you were joking around, but it still bothers me. I dislike
"old man" with the same vengance....as in..."My old man said.."

And you're the
Homestead Warrior Woman, not me. ;) I dabble in homesteading when the mood strikes. Meanwhile, I live a mostly rural, country lifestyle and help support local farmers.
Oh yeah...you know _I_ believe that<g>(not)...I KNOW what you do...so
you can pretend to be the quiet alter-ego if you want, but I know you
are a warrior at heart, you just have to believe it yourself!

The wood stove problem is extensive, it's not just one thing broken, it's several internal parts including the catalytic converter and the
vent that add up to big bucks. I forget what all is wrong with it; we could repair it and save some money over new, but if we have to spend that much we'd rather have new.

Mine doesn't have a catalytic converter-that's how old mine is..

My husband works out at the local gym 4-5x per week doing a cardio and weight lifting routine. He's had to change his weight routine to
accommodate the darn arm.

I meant, using smaller weights, specifically for hands and forearms that
would strength his arms for whatever job he needed to do, whether a
paying one or not!

Any use of his left arm--whether pushing the mower, holding the chainsaw with both hands, chopping wood manually with an axe, weedwhacking, or playing the guitar--all cause him grief. He'd rather give up using the chainsaw than the guitar, it is a matter of preference. He's played guitar since he was 18 and it's his passion.
In fact, he's working towards making regular European tours (summer 07 or 08) and we are strongly considering living in Europe for a year
or two before the boys are gone. He's gone about as far as he can
go in the states with his acoustic blues career for a 40's white guy,
to jump to the next level of being invited to play well-known blues festivals (or at least getting into those gigs) and becoming more in demand and better known here, he needs to spend time going back and forth to Europe.

Now that I'm way off track...

not really, making money is making money...health is health...it's life,
it's homesteading...

Sounds like we need a wood splitter and perhaps purchase a wood stove
that can use gas logs. That way, if we don't care for propane we
can switch back to wood. And if gives the next homeowners an
option--if we make the decision to sell down the road.

I'd hate to see you go, at least permanently. BUT, looking at the
bright side, perhaps you can come back with a renewed sense of
homesteading and new ideas for living a more simple life. The Irish are
workers, but they do know how to relax. <g>
All the best....

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky