homestead - Re: [Homestead] More cuts to the soldiers pay

  • From: "Jerry W. Shepperd" <shepperd AT austincc.edu>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More cuts to the soldiers pay
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 18:32:50 -0500

At 05:08 PM 9/6/2006, you wrote:

>All the best and Semper Fi, Kirk!

From me, too. I disagreed, and still disagree, with the Iraq
Invasion but I wish only the best for our people who serve everywhere.

Well said. Disagreeing with policy is both a right and a privilege, maybe even an obligation for living in a free society, but that same right and privilege makes it necessary for us to support the men and women who bear the standards of our society. Military personnel must know we support them, even when we disagree with policy, lest they be reluctant to serve when we think the cause is just and right.

However, when the bullets and shrapnel were tearing up the trees and vines (not many of those in Iraq and Afghanistan), I was more concerned about whether or not I would survive, than I was about whether or not people at home were supporting military involvement in Viet Nam. I'm guessing that is also true of the military men and women in Iraq. A difference, possibly is that for me and the other men in Viet Nam was that worrying about policy was for when you were behind the lines. In Iraq, there is no line to get behind. The front is everywhere.

Jerry Shepperd

"Silence is not always golden; sometimes it's yellow."