homestead - Re: [Homestead] More cuts to the soldiers pay

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More cuts to the soldiers pay
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:55:46 -0400

Lynda <lurine AT softcom.net> wrote: Kidlet #5, Kirk, joined the Marines
one year ago. October 1 he ships out to Iraq. He lives on base and
whether he uses the mess hall or not he is charged for 3 meals a day.

That was true for one of TJ's schools as well. Luckily, he is not at
that school anymore. He said the best food he got was at his A school
in Charleston, but while at Power School also in Charleston, the food
sucked, and he made the same comment as Kirk that fast food was better.
There was a Subway on base and he ate a lot of sandwiches during that
school. :)

One thing TJ said was that after eating various foods away from home,
whether it be military chow or fast food, he now appreciates a good home
cooked meal. It's not that he did not appreciate it before, but that he
*really* appreciates it now. Perhaps Kirk will feel differently about
mess hall chow after a year of sand coated MRE's, and I KNOW he will
most certainly share a newfound love of homecooking! It's all relative,
you know. TJ's bootcamp roommate was very poor and had been living in a
motel with his crack addicted parents. TJ said that kid ate not only
his share of bootcamp slop, but everyone else's too.

I salute Kirk for his military service and his commitment. It's not an
easy thing to voluntarily enlist during times like these, and those who
do, like my son and yours, certainly garner my respect and admiration.
I hope that he returns home safely. Lynda, if you need an ear or a
shoulder, I am here for you. I recently joined a support group for Navy
Moms, and there are a few Marine Moms on there, too. You might look
around the net and see what kind of support group you can find if you
haven't already done so.

All the best and Semper Fi, Kirk!

Bev

--
Bevanron in NW Georgia EarthNSky Farm 34.498N 85.076W
SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses