homestead - [Homestead] Unbelievable story...laugh or cry

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Unbelievable story...laugh or cry
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:31:52 -0400

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/18/edible.virus.ap/index.html

This is soooo "out there" that I feel like I am reading a sci-fi novel.
Using viruses and technology to combat bacteria seems like a good
thing, but as a food additive??? What happens if or when the virus
mutates, as viruses like to do, inside our bodies and starts eating the
good bacteria in our digestive tract? How does one engineer a virus to
eat e.coli off meat in a store and not eat the natural e. coli in our
digestive tracts?
Remember that book, _Future Shock_? I feel numbed by the fast pace of
technology right now, especially when it comes to GE uses and abuses and
nanotech uses and abuses. It's scary stuff to think of the
possibilities, and I just don't think we have taken the time to really
understand all the implications of what we are doing. Just my opinion....

Bev
--
Bevanron in NW Georgia EarthNSky Farm 34.498N 85.076W
SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses