homestead - Re: [Homestead] Random thoughts

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Random thoughts
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 07:50:32 -0700

At 7/13/2006 02:02 PM,The Studebakers wrote:

My husband has made his way to GA, while the girls and I are here, waiting for the house to sell. Dreaming.

I confess to being a fence rider, and feel torn and envious of those who aren't (Bev, et al) Perhaps (LOL) I have an unrealistic dream of being some southern belle that works the farm, sweats, doesn't wear make- up, and then cleans the house like Martha Stewart, homeschools, and throws on a dress for a night of entertaining.

You guys are my wake up call. I must admit fear is starting to creep in, can I really give up these comforts to simplify and make this change for our family? Well, it's too late to turn back now!

Hello Amy,
Sorry this is a month late but there is never enough time to keep up with all my e-mail anymore, this morning I'm reading homestead threads <g>.

You uneasiness with making the change is natural (it was for me) but remember if it's not right for you or your family you can change.
We spent 6 years in northern Minnesota doing the homestead thing, then it was time for a change <shrug>, so now we are doing something else. Actually the family was really tired of it, I'd have been more than happy to start over out here in Washington but I figured they lived with my dream for those years I could give them what they want. There is time to do different things.
In Minnesota one of my kids second grade teachers had lived the homesteading life for over 20 years. She said one day she woke up and was tired of it ... sold the goats, got rid of the chickens, didn't plant a garden and took up different interests.

After 3 years back here in WA I still miss the chickens and still want to give raising pigs a try and I realize I may still get another crack at those things. Nothing is written in stone.

Take a deep breath & enjoy your trip. I hope things work out for you.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA

  • Re: [Homestead] Random thoughts, Rob, 08/19/2006