homestead - Re: [Homestead] Milky spore

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Milky spore
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 14:45:45 -0400

clhw wrote:

I know there are nematodes specific for the "sawyer" worms which
infest pecans. The ones who eat off the smaller branches so they look
almost like they've been sawed cleanly. I don't know the biological
name for them.

There was a company in Bozeman, Montana, several years back, which
sold these nematodes. You "sow" them on the drip line of the tree,
preferably when the ground is damp, and they will probably parasitize
the worms, wiping them out. You purchase them by the pound and there
are several million per pound or some such drastic number.

Ah yes, I think I do recall reading about these now. The whole dripline
thing brought it back.

The care of pecans is fairly simple and I'd like to improve what
we're doing for ours. We attempt to clean up the eaten off twigs and
burn them, as recommended. Also, the pecans with the worm holes. Zinc
applied every few years and that's about it. I'd like to apply some
nematodes. I think the recommended time to apply for our area is
about December.

Brake dust has a lot of zinc in it, so if you know of a mechanic who can
get some shavings for you, it will be a free source. That's what we
used to do, anyway.

Bev

--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W