homestead - Re: [Homestead] Milky spore

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Milky spore
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 14:43:08 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:
I don't know what I want to get rid of most, the beetles or the moles. Milky spore takes out both, but it's not an instant thing.

Whoa! Are you saying that Milky Spore kills moles eventually?

It doesn't kill them, no, but I think it does affect them indirectly.
Since moles feed on the grubs that feed on the lawn, and since the
predominant grub is the Japanese beetle larvae, once you reduce the
number of beetles, you reduce the number of larvae and over time, the
moles move on to turf that has more grubs.
On my own property, I've noticed that moles are mostly a problem where
the soil is soft-like in the garden and/or in grassy areas where I have
planted various fruit or nut trees. Perhaps coincidentally, although I
think not, these are the same areas where Japanese beetles seem to
thrive-in and on my fruit trees, both those in the lawn around the
property and in the garden. I know that moles eat grubs and larvae, so
if I can reduce the number of food sources for the moles, they should
move on to better feeding grounds, hopefully off my property, or at
least to areas where I don't have fruit trees planted. :)
I hope that makes sense. Mostly, this is my own observation, making the
connection between moles and Japanese beetles, but I do seem to recall
reading that others have made the same observation, and if there is
indeed any truth to that connection, then, yes, milky spore would solve
both problems over time.

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W