homestead - Re: [Homestead] Milky spore

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Milky spore
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:01:32 -0400

I know there are nematodes specific for the "sawyer" worms which infest
pecans. The ones who eat off the smaller branches so they look almost like
they've been sawed cleanly. I don't know the biological name for them.

There was a company in Bozeman, Montana, several years back, which sold
these nematodes. You "sow" them on the drip line of the tree, preferably
when the ground is damp, and they will probably parasitize the worms,
wiping them out. You purchase them by the pound and there are several
million per pound or some such drastic number.

The care of pecans is fairly simple and I'd like to improve what we're
doing for ours. We attempt to clean up the eaten off twigs and burn them,
as recommended. Also, the pecans with the worm holes. Zinc applied every
few years and that's about it. I'd like to apply some nematodes. I think
the recommended time to apply for our area is about December.