homestead - Re: [Homestead] Alternative inventory:Solar

  • From: KNat <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Alternative inventory:Solar
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:40:53 -0500

Viking wrote:

Ah! A sun piper! Please elaborate and tell me how many sun pipes you
have and if you have found any negatives for them..like, do you get
leaks around the pipe? Did you install these yourself or were they
built in at the time your home was constructed.

Other questions take some looking because they have been around so long and were found odd places.
This one though I personally did and really like. I had dark hallways under a 5 foot attic space. One place in the attic someone had imagined they'd put a furnace (no heat when we bought this repo house.) The furnace was propane and there was no way to get deliveries to that location so I pulled it out and had the first hole. 19 inch standard chimney hole and I cut through the ceiling below it and added a Sun Tube. The fittings with it are great and even a novice like me, back then, couldn't make it leak. I added an low volt electric light in the tube so at night it is a regular hall fixture and loved it. So I added a couple more. The regular skylights were added by a "handyman" and leak unless pampered totally. The Sun Tube just works. It does make a column in the attic to walk around doing storage but, frankly, I feel really good about the choice when I walk around so no issue there. I got a rigid side type and returned it in favor of the accordion pleat mylar. The fudge factor is worth it and, although it was probably the diffuser design, the accordion was brighter.

Kathyann