homestead - Re: [Homestead] Solar cooker question

  • From: KNat <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Solar cooker question
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:08:49 -0500

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:

Solar cooker used regularly in winter and
occasionally in summer

Kathyann, I'm curious why solar cooker used more in winter than
in summer?
Van Dell

When our main living space was redone it had an overhang added of the right amount so sun doesn't come inside in summer. In the winter, the sun comes in and my oven works fine, thru the glass, on a cart right outside the kitchen. I can use it outside, but tend to like more cold foods in the summer anyway. And when I put it outside last a goat came up on the deck and ripped the lid. Winter tends to having a pot of warm something to grab when desired so I use top of stove and oven a lot. I have a wallspace planned to put a permanent oven/burner but keep changing design (and not allocating time to building it.) One of these days, probably in winter, I'll put in a yearround.

Kathyann