homestead - Re: [Homestead] Alternative inventory:Solar

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Alternative inventory:Solar
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:38:44 -0500

At 7/12/2006, you wrote:
Ah, Don, you're probably a good person to ask....
Can you please explain inverters?

An inverter changes DC to AC. Most often that is from 12 VDC to 120 VAC. There are several types of inverters from motor generators to solid state. Modern solid state inverters are small and relatively efficient. They come in two flavors, modified sine wave and pure sine wave. The wave form of a modified sine wave is a step from 0 to around 70 volts then a step to around 140 then back to 70 then 0 then repeat the cycle to negative values. Pure sine wave is just that, like comes from the grid though there may be noise on the line. Most applications do well with MSW but some printers and TVs do not like the noise. Microwaves and other devices that depend on peak power do not work as well on MSW.

I like several small inverters rather than one large one. There is a reduced overhead and I can tailor the loads as needed. I nave 175, 200, and 400 Watt inverters but the 175 is the most often used. I have recorded the wave forms and hope to get an article up one of these days.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU

http://www.braingarage.com

My travel journal

I am omnivagant.