homestead - Re: [Homestead] Alternative inventory:Solar

  • From: Viking <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Alternative inventory:Solar
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:10:22 -0400

I'm still a bit confused....just for clarity....
So the first step is deciding on how much AC voltage something uses and
then you backtrack to determine the size of the inverter needed? Sorry
to be dense on this one. Ron plugs his telescope into the cig lighter
of my truck, using my truck battery. That's fine if we are at home, but
in some observing locations, we would need to park elsewhere, creating a
distance between the truck and scope. I would like to have an
alternative power source that he could tote out with the scope and use
in the field. It would also eliminate the number of potential cords I
trip on. :) I saw this page:
http://www.mapug-astronomy.net/AstroDesigns/MAPUG/PowerBox.htm
But I'm not sure that he needs this much power even though he has an LX
200 with dew heaters. I can find out how much power the scope uses, but
the dew heaters are homemade (Ron understands all this stuff-I don't)
and I have no idea, without asking him, how much power they use. I also
have a old laptop with astronomy software loaded, and it would be nice
to use that in the field as well. The laptop only works on AC right now
as it needs a battery, I think. I get confused when words like
resistance and amperage get thrown around. I wanted to surprise him
with some type of portable inverter and battery operation, but I may
have to ask him. I look online at various websites and just get more
confused.
On more homestead related topics, what uses around the farm would
something like this homemade power box be good for? I like things that
can be used by more than one application.
Thanks for your patience, Don.

Bev