homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cooking day

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cooking day
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:29:31 -0700 (PDT)

Bev,
That sounds great? Are we all invited over for
supper??

This does remind me of a something I would like some
feedback on. I am planning to buy a freezer soon.
Any information to help that selection is appreciated.

For now we are living in town, 2 families, wife & I,
and son & daughterlaw. Now the primary use would be
overflow from grocery store and room to store home
cooked. The freezer in fridge holds so little.

Lots of questions:
Chest or upright, I believe chest is more efficient,
but I like things where I can see them. We have space
to place whatever size we need.
When (if ever...sigh) we get on the farm, we will be
needing long term storage. Any limits and how big box
should be, can be. I imagine that homesteaders could
use an indefinite amount of storage. It is possible
we might want a larger, additional unit down the line.

Might the possibility of power outages affect the
selection of what to buy? Our two year old pulled the
plug on son's freezer, no one noticed until older
sister noticed smell. hopefully that won't happen to
us.
Does anyone know anything about gas powered freezers?
That might be an option for future.
Any other questions I haven't asked?

Thx
Van Dell