homestead - Re: [Homestead] A point of view

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A point of view
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:52:20 -0800

Ah, that must be new math. Do you really think that there are only two places that the U.S. has troops deployed?

For the record, the U.S. has troops deployed in 70% of the world's countries. And, because the U.S. uses cleaver means of counting, they are actually in more countries than they put out there. For example, there are troops in Greenland but that doesn't get counted because it is technically part of Denmark.

There are also 96 bases in U.S. territories.

In 2003, the last year that the numbers were put into a study, 27% of the U.S. troops were on foreign soil. There are more today than in 2003. Add to that the troops in the territories/possessions and you don't come up with 90% in the U.S. Guam alone has over 3,000 troops.

So, why do we need troops in 135 countries including the UK, NZ, Norway, Finland and so forth and so on?

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <DSanner106 AT aol.com>

Well, only about 10 percent of our forces are are in fact in Iraq, leaving
90 percent, over here. Sounds like plenty to me

Drew