homestead - [Homestead] Seed starting methods

  • From: "Lisa K. V. Perry" <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Seed starting methods
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:26:23 -0500

In two weeks or I'll begin planting tomato and pepper seeds and an assortment of perennials. I use small individual plastic pots, or peat pots, sometimes trays of them (can't recall how blocks in a tray). I don't yet have flourescent grow lights, but in a corner of our new small basement, my hubby has promised to make my plant "workshop". In the past I've had various pots or flats stacked on boards that balanced precariously on chairs in our south facing sunroom area, or on the sunroom floor with various protective methods to guard against the cats. It's very unscientific and has worked with uneven results--some years better than others. Last year I moved the plants after I'd transplanted them and was one week away from planting in the garden when the cat discovered them and ate every last one I was quite grumpy when I discovered my chewed off plant stems, but I learned yet another lesson--use hardware cloth in a hoop-shape over the tray.
I'm not banking on the plant workshop being finished this year. If it does great, if not, I'll make do another year. What is your method for starting seeds? If you have the perfect greenhouse set-up, please don't tell me.

Lisa
in sw VA who is thrilled that today is the last day of January! Whoo-hoo!