homestead - Re: [Homestead] Peak Oil

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Peak Oil
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:21:08 EDT

> Any transition to the next dominant form of personal transportation is not
> going to happen in a couple of decades. Four-wheeled vehicles will be here
> for a long time. Cars already exist that are largely solar powered. More
> are electrically augmented.

The transition to the next dominant form of personal transportation might not
happen for a few decades, but the end of the present one might be out of our
control. Solar powered electric cars might well be the direction we take,
likely, in fact. But doing the math, even if you make an extremely light
vehicle and have a very large area of sunlight with which to charge it, we
aren't
going to be commuting 60 miles one way to work in such a world.

We've sprawled out in our daily activities (work, church, school, shopping)
because of the availability of cheap oil transportation. Not to mention that
whether a cabbage is grown here ten miles away or in California, it has been
little odds. That's the sort of thing that will have to change. And it
will.
And it will be better.