homestead - Re: [Homestead] Peak Oil

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Peak Oil
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:54:14 EDT

> The biggest lifestyle changes will be for those who cannot pay the going
> price. Like everything else, it's a choice if we make adequate money, or
> don't.

A case can be made for that, but it's more complicated. Now there exist
extensive and excellent roads; stores, restaurants, places of business,
churches
(etc) with parking lots; abundant mechanics; auto dealers; broad based
insurance .... and such ... to service the automotive public because cars are
ubiquitous. If fuel becomes so scarce or expensive that only the wealthiest
can
afford a prersonal automobile, there will not be enough of a motoring public
support the current level of roads, insurance, and all the other things
necessary for the motoring status quo.

Think of the status of private aircraft, general aviation, I think it's
called. If you are wealthy enough, you can afford your own plane, the pay
the
hangar fee, and all the other expensed involved in it. But you can't fly
right to
most places in the country. There simply aren't enough general aviators to
support very many small airports, controllers, etc. to allow every small burg
and wide place to have it's own airport which could accomodate small planes.

If motorists become much fewer because of fuel constraints, it won't just be
matter of affording to pay the extra cost of fuel.