homestead - Re: [Homestead] Peak Oil

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Peak Oil
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:52:10 EDT

That was the thing that was not pointed out, it is CHEAP oil that is peaking,
not oil itself. We might have only pumped out 2% of the world's oil for all
we know, but it was the cheap 2%.

> In my view our best hope is hydrogen fuel cells for
> energy storage and solar / wind / nuclear to generate
> it, at least so far

But here's the ironic rub: if we were willing to be content with only the
amount of transportation that hydrogen fuel cells (essentially batteries)
charged with wind, solar, and nuclear afforded us, we could do nicely right
now with
that much transportation provided by oil.

Do you recall a few summers ago there was a heat wave in Europe and there
were reports of the great number of people, especially the old, who died of
the
heat? Well, France pats itself on the back that most of their electricity
comes from nuclear. Bon for them. But the reason so many people died in
that
heat wave is that air conditioning isn't much in use there. They are content
use far, far less electricity than we do and that's why they can do it
largely
without fossil fuels.

When peak cheap oil passes, and there are good reasons to think that it has,
there will be stark lifestyle changes needed, and no mistake,