homestead - Re: [Homestead] Peak Oil

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Peak Oil
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:03:40 -0500

If fuel becomes so scarce or expensive that only the wealthiest can
afford a prersonal automobile, there will not be enough of a motoring public to support the current level of roads, insurance, and all the other things necessary for the motoring status quo.

This reminds me of what I have read about when cars were introduced.
People made forecasts of the awful conditions cars would create. Livery stable operators, harness makers, so many would be out of business, etc.

Any transition to the next dominant form of personal transportation is not going to happen in a couple of decades. Four-wheeled vehicles will be here for a long time. Cars already exist that are largely solar powered. More are electrically augmented.

I do like the idea of less traffic.