homestead - [Homestead] Peak Oil

  • From: Juliana Dutra <kila01 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Peak Oil
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:08:58 -0700 (PDT)

Someone quoted this optimistic magazine article about
all the Oil still out there.. I'd like to call your
attention one of the last paragraphs of the article
quoted

>In short, there are lots of frontiers left. Yet even
>if there is plenty of oil still available under the
>ground, getting it to market will pose huge problems.
>It will take lots of innovations, as well as courage
>and capital, to move it to where it is needed.

Aye, and therein lies the rub... The world may NEVER
run out of Oil but it will definitely run out of CHEAP
OIL in the next 10-30 years. And where are the plans
and incentives for "lots of innovations, as well as
courage and capital, to move it to where it is needed"
? Nowhere in sight, from both parties I might add...

Kerry had an "energy independence plan" but spent less
time talking about it than combing his hair, while
Bush has completely ignored the issue for almost 5
years and has only recently done a feeble attempt to
promote energy savings. One could argue Iraq was
Bush's answer for Peak Oil, but as such it was
terribly naive to assume 2 billion Arabs would let US
siphon away their riches right on their backyard
without a fight. Hence the oil is being lost to busted
pipes, bombed harbors, RPG shelled truck convoys...

In my view our best hope is hydrogen fuel cells for
energy storage and solar / wind / nuclear to generate
it, at least so far...