homestead - Re: [Homestead] Woodwoorking tools

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Woodwoorking tools
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:54:10 -0700

At 9/13/2005 06:03 PM, you wrote:
I have a lot of small to medium sized pines that need to be thinned on my place. I was thinking to start that work this winter. I could use a lot of the wood either debarked or debarked and split for rails, rafters, etc. to take the place of dimension lumber in some building projects

I think that some of you here use hand tools to work with wood. Any suggestions on where to purchase and some basic tools that one would need?

Thanks,

Rob

This is, surprisingly, a tough question.
For the real basic,,, a hammer, saw, tape measure, pencil, square and level would do. Depending on the type of square you got it might come with the level.
I once built a rocking horse from a packing crate with a saw, hammer and wood rasp.

Depending on what you wanted to do, a circular saw and battery operated drill would be real helpful, I'd get a corded drill too. Add a set of bits for the drill & some screw drivers. A pair of Vice-GripsĀ® helps with pulling screws that get too dinged up for the screw driver (get real Vice-GripsĀ®).
A 4' level helps with a lot of bigger jobs as does a chalk line.

Let me think about this a bit---
hammer
hand saw
circular saw
corded drill
battery operated drill (with 2 batteries)
tape measure
square (two would be better, an adjustable and a framing square)
level (a small one and a 4'er would be better)
Drill bits
Screw drivers
A Chalk line
Vice-Grips
A Tool belt (it helps)

Where-- from Sears to garage sales to the local hardware store to Amazon to auctions to the big box stores. Don't overlook pawn shops, just have an idea of what it's worth new before you buy used.

I have and often use chisels too.

I have gotten great deals on hand tools at auctions.

I didn't mention table saw (I got mine used- an older cast iron Craftsman), router, jig saw, sanders or any of the other pile of toys available.

Hope this helps <VBG>.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA