homestead - [Homestead] Woodwoorking tools

  • From: "Rob Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Homestead" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Woodwoorking tools
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:03:01 -0400

I have a lot of small to medium sized pines that need to be thinned on my
place. I was thinking to start that work this winter. I could use a lot of
the wood either debarked or debarked and split for rails, rafters, etc. to
take the place of dimension lumber in some building projects

I think that some of you here use hand tools to work with wood. Any
suggestions on where to purchase and some basic tools that one would need?

Thanks,

Rob
>From Clansgian AT wmconnect.com Tue Sep 13 22:03:47 2005
> I think that some of you here use hand tools to work with wood. Any
> suggestions on where to purchase and some basic tools that one would need?

Three places, but two of them ain't cheap!

Lehman's
www.lehmans.com

WoodCraft
www.woodcraft.com

Both have spuds, adzes, broad axes, manual saws etc. Very, very good quality
and very pricey.

I found most of the everyday tools I use in antique shops and WAY cheaper
than they cost new. I got a good 6' crosscut saw with every tooth intact and
the
metal in excellent shape for $30. The proprietor said I just missed two of
them that were still shiney and sharp he sold for $20 each the day before!
Most of the hand woodworking tools that look like a pile of rust in the shops
can
be brought back into useable form with a bit of attention.

James