homestead - Re: [Homestead] Woodwoorking tools

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Woodwoorking tools
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:27:01 -0700

Estate auctions are good too. We bid on a box of stuff. We could only see the top couple of items but they went for $10. Got some really neat old tools, most of them in really good shape, plus a surprise down in the bottom of the box, a lead crystal dish that was worth over $100!

Another place to go "hunting" is storage unit sales. Youngest kidlet bid on two boxes at one of those and they were filled with brand new books and science kits! In fact, she just came in to show me the "faux" stained glass that she just finished from one of those kits. She has sold a bunch of the books online and already made several hundred dollars off her $25 purchase!

DH has bid on some of the storage unit sales and gotten a small compressor, a battery powered skill saw and a few other tools for pennies on the dollar! I think his favorite find was a planer and some chisels.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

Three places, but two of them ain't cheap!

Lehman's
www.lehmans.com

WoodCraft
www.woodcraft.com

Both have spuds, adzes, broad axes, manual saws etc. Very, very good quality
and very pricey.

I found most of the everyday tools I use in antique shops and WAY cheaper
than they cost new. I got a good 6' crosscut saw with every tooth intact and the
metal in excellent shape for $30. The proprietor said I just missed two of
them that were still shiney and sharp he sold for $20 each the day before!
Most of the hand woodworking tools that look like a pile of rust in the shops can
be brought back into useable form with a bit of attention.

James