homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Constitution

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Constitution
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 22:54:10 EDT

> But now that you mention it, I find the insistence on the distinction to be
> tedious. What useful purpose does it serve? The USA fits both definitions.
> Here is the Webster definition of "democracy":

That's the old "Gospel according to Webster". Lexicographers don't make good
political scientists. In a democracy such as existed in many of the Greek
city states (at least for a time and at least for free males), any question
could be put to a popular vote, the people could be appealed to at any time.
In
a constitutional republic (as we are supposed to have) appealing every
decision to the popular vote is seen as mob rule and is looked down upon.
We've done
it from time to time, but it is done against our political system and the
results have been poor.

The distinction is very important. We are a people ruled by laws, not men
and not mobs. Here we are supposed to be able to plan our very lives around
principles of law and not worry about which way the wind is going to blow ten
years from now. Doesn't always work that way, but we must keep those who
find
the distinciton tedious reminded from time to time that pure democracies are
not
to be greatly desired.

James