homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Constitution

  • From: DSanner106 AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Constitution
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:38:07 EDT

In a message dated 7/10/2005 9:34:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
genegerue AT ruralize.com writes:

"Consider further that if the presidency continues to be held by the same
"party, the Congress continues to have the same power structure, and the
"president has the opportunity to place two dependably pro-Republican
"justices on the Supreme Court, that the country will be run by one party.
"The president will be very close to being a king.

Well, in all the decades the other party controlled both houses, the white
house, and was placing pro-Democrat justices on the Supreme court, the
country
survived and we didn't have a King. I think if our system is to survive, we
have to have swings in the other direction occasionally for balance if
nothing more. The president and members of the two houses were chosen by a
majority
of Americans to their respective offices, and should be allowed to do their
jobs. If they go to far, they will lose their offices and the other party
will have control again.

We have neither a democracy, nor a republic, but rather a hybrid system of
our own, we cannot try to squeeze ourselves into either of those definitions
without giving up what makes this the United States.

Drew