homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Constitution

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Constitution
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 10:24:31 -0700

Just FYI, NPR has a short bit on original meaning in the Constitution. To
listen, go to http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4736773

Seems to me that the "original meaning" contingent would have to believe that the framers had knowledge superior to contemporary knowledge, to feel that the last two-hundred-plus years of American history offer no essential experiential contribution to how we Americans may best conduct ourselves.

Interesting at minimum, to consider that the framers themselves quickly entered into controversy over the document they had created. And the beat goes on.