homestead - Re: [Homestead] The specuator factor ..

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The specuator factor ..
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 10:45:33 EDT

> Beyond the land, tools, books, buildings, animals, seeds, etc., that we
> homesteaders value, does anyone know a better investment than real estate?

No, of course there isn't a better investmentl. Let me make an awkward
comparison: if someone takes up a cottage industry making or providing
something
useful, then if the "industry" doesn't pan out, they at least have some
consumable good they can use themselves. That is, if your cottage industry
is making
quilts and for whatever reason you can't sell them, you can stay warm in the
winter with them none the less. But if your cottage industry is raising
exotic
lizards and you can't sell them, it's a bust. Roughly like that, if you
invest in real estate, you at least have a house or land which is useful in
and of
itself. You'd at least have a place to live. And from experience I can tell
you that having a place to live free and clear will make all the difference
in the world if your posterior ever has to bump the bottom for a while.

If I had money for speculation, which I don't and don't desire to have, I'd
invest in in real estate. Right now it's much more profitable to invest in
my own enterprises.

The notion that real estate will always have an appreciating value [although
'always' is a long time] is a defendable position but only if we are talking
about the use value. The speculative component in *every* piece of real
estate
now of days carries no such guarantee nor even expectation. It is a lesson
in what happens when too much money starts chasing too few goods, the price
must per force go up. People who only want land for it use, for example -
homesteaders, are bidding against the speculators. This very same principle
applies the the pension debacle and the SS situation. It isn't so much a
matter of
whether there is going to be money to meet the obligations that are
foresworn,
but when there is too much money trying to buy too few goods, the price must
needs go up much as real estate has.

James