homestead - Re: [Homestead] The specuator factor ..

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The specuator factor ..
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 14:03:08 EDT

In a message dated 5/14/2005 12:34:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
clhw AT InfoAve.Net writes:

> I "watched" the ad, which was a picture of a woman standing in front of an
> easel. Maybe it was advertising the hotel chain whose name was in the right
> hand column. No day pass appeared that I noticed.

I had the same trouble and since Marie has already forwarded the article this
is moot, but once you view the advertisement you just click on the article
again and it opens.

As the article points out, no one expects the supply of oil go suddenly dry.
Rather the ''peak-oil-ers" say we are on the downward slope of the oil
supply. If all things were static, oil availability would mirror the rise in
use of
it over the past 100 years or so. But things aren't static, we are sprawled
all over suburbia in cavernous climate controlled houses, not using public
transportation, commuting ridiculous distances, and China and the rest of the
world is trying to imitate us. Say the peak-oil-ers, the end will be much
faster
than the rise.

We are now used to gas being over $2 a gallon and no real expectation that it
will ever be below that again. I know the old saw of "the government won't
[or can't afford] to let gas get $5 a gallon, it would wreck the economy."
That is like saying "the government won't let houses get over $100K because
people couldn't afford to buy them." The government and the rich have little
control over either of those things.

James