homestead - RE: [Homestead] The specuator factor ..

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] The specuator factor ..
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 13:36:03 -0500

<<I know the old saw of "the government won't [or can't afford] to let gas
get $5 a gallon, it would wreck the economy." >>

I agree with James. I live 20 miles from the nearest city that offers jobs
and decent shopping. Until I came to the choice of either going bankrupt or
finding health insurance that would cover my late husband's horrendous drug
bills, I freelanced. It was not only lucrative but it allowed me to travel
only on occasion, and we had a large garden and a goat dairy.

Now as I glide towards 60, I've got enough years in the system (and can buy
back enough years from previous university employment) so that I can retire
with a decent pension before I reach 90, maybe even by the time that I'm 65.
My plan is to increase the size of my garden and chicken flock and sell at
the local farmer's market and also take on editing jobs from local
engineering firms as they come up to supplement by retirement income. A
successful retirement depends, of course, on my staying healthy but since I
had the wisdom of being born into a family with longevity genes (3 of 4
grandparents lived into their 90s and so did my father -- Mom's still
gardening but then she's only 86) I believe I've got a chance.

Marie