homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rabbits

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rabbits
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:45:12 -0700

Is it ok to breed the sister with the brother of the same litter? What about father and daughter. Boy I haven't been a homesteader long enough because I am feeling like I am fostering insest and molestation.

Worse, you have not inoculated yourself with the homesteader independence virus. Why ask us? A quick Google search found this:

"Basic Information Needed To Breed Rabbits Successfully

"Firstly we must define two basic terms, phenotype and genotype. The phenotype of an animal refers to the physical characteristics of that animal (what we see). The genotype refers to only that part of the animal that is due to his genes (amino acids that transfer the messages from parents to offspring). There are two primary reasons for the differences we see in animals, differences due to environment and differences due to the genes that the animals are carrying. Most breeders have little or no control of their gene pool. These would be phenotype breeders. They use little scientific approach to their breeding programs. And as we know, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then. A consistently successful breeding program will usually make use of some form of linebreeding. This is breeding genotype.

"What is linebreeding?

"Linebreeding is a simple concept that can be made to seem complicated. One must remember that linebreeding is a program that produces animals from a single line of descent and from a common ancestor. It is a long ranged plan that a breeder is required to have an ideal animal firmly fixed and must be willing to pursue that ideal regardless of any breeding fads that might dictate otherwise.

"Linebreeding is built on the principle of "breeding like to like to get like." It affords the serious rabbit breeder the opportunity to set a type in the shortest amount of time. It also “narrows the gene pool.”

"The greatest danger in a linebreeding program is that it intensifies all of the genes--good and bad. In other words, if you have a line of inherently quality show rabbits, breeding like to like—quality to quality--should result in an higher quality line of rabbits.

"If, at the same time, this line of rabbits consistently lacks depth, then breeding like to like should result in an intensified line of poor-depth rabbits. In a linebreeding program, you, as the breeder, find out what is good and bad about your program in a hurry. The only way to offset the intensification of undesirable traits in a linebreeding program is to ruthlessly cull the undesirables from the herd

"With linebreeding the breeder must use selection as a rigid tool in the process. Unless this is adhered to, the breeder will never attain his goal and the program will be doomed to failure. There are very few constructive linebreeding programs and very few bloodlines that can be successfully linebred. The characteristics that must be maintained are conformation, soundness, fertility, disposition, coat color, refinement, and females that exhibit the ability to raise healthy babies."

http://thhoppers.homestead.com/files/Basic_Information_Needed_To_Breed_Rabbits_Successfully.htm

Now that I've given you a mild spanking, let me say that, for your purposes, IF your present stock all appear healthy and characterize the traits you desire, go ahead and let them be incestuous. And do report the results.