homestead - RE: [Homestead] Phony e-mail from Microsoft?

  • From: "Tim Oppenheim" <timopp AT mac.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Phony e-mail from Microsoft?
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:35:22 -0500

Yes,

These " phishing" schemes are really getting sophisticated. Microsoft
Windows XP has an automatic system for updates. I am sure you have seen it
on your toolbar.

Older systems can go to http://microsoft.com/updates

While I am on the subject, most phishing works by embedding a link for you
to log in like the one above. It would lead you to a very close
representation of your bank, ebay, paypal whatever, but in reality is a
phony. Always start with a fresh browser window and log in directly from the
site and never from a link in an email. Most banks are aware of this, but
not all are.

Tim Oppenheim