homestead - Re: [Homestead] Phony e-mail from Microsoft?

  • From: steve oliphant <steveo AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Phony e-mail from Microsoft?
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 08:17:24 -0600

Don't open them! Microsoft doesn't distribute patches this way. It is a worm or trojan horse.

From
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.dumaru AT mm.html

W32.Dumaru@mm is a mass-mailing worm that drops an IRC Trojan onto an infected machine. The worm gathers email addresses from certain file types and uses its own SMTP engine to email itself.

-Steve

Gene GeRue wrote:

I am getting multiple and continuing posts ostensibly from "Microsoft" <security AT microsoft.com> that say: Use this patch immediately!

Seems to be real except for all the exclamation points. Seems to me a likely nasty. What do you think?